Travel is highly seasonal due to low travel demand in Q1. So, I analyzed the conversion rates of searches to bookings across multiple customer segments and platforms and found that the conversion rate was 2x higher on the app than the website.
We needed to, in one or another, increase searches and bookings on the OurBus App to grow the revenue.
- To increase usage, make the app the primary call to action on existing and new touchpoints where relevant.
- To be relevant, communicate the app’s positioning based on the need that the app will fulfill for customers at their stage of the purchase journey.
- Existing customers who had only purchased on third-party sites or the OurBus website were prime candidates to convert to the app. By combining previous usage data and customer surveys, we understood that the most used feature was tracking the real-time ETA of a bus on the day of travel.
- We tested multiple initiatives to boost both new and existing app customers.
- Expanded reach and incentivized purchases for new customers
- Launched dedicated app campaigns on Facebook and Instagram
- Added link extensions to Paid Search ads.
- Changed promo strategy to app-only.
- Triggered usage at the right times and shifted promo strategy for existing customers
- Day-of-Departure automated email with the primary CTA to download the app, followed by other valuable information for the trip. It quickly became the email with the highest open rate.
- Created a new email journey to target our OTA customers to download and purchase through the app.
- Changed our promotion strategy to app-only promos and launched limited-time offers through email. third-party sites or the OurBus website were prime candidates to convert to the app. By combining previous usage data and customer surveys, we understood that the most used feature was tracking the real-time ETA of a bus on the day of travel.
Within two months, app users and purchases increased.
- Activation: 2.5x Monthly active users (MAUs)
- Revenue: 10% incremental revenue, becoming 2nd highest sales channel, surpassing third-party OTAs (online travel agencies), enabling us to avoid costly commission charges.